Do you know those days when you really want a burger but you’re on a gluten cleanse and you gotta work around the bread to get what you want? Well, maybe you’ve never had one of those days and actually, until this week I never had one of those days before either. But to fix my newfound dilemma, I did the simplest thing and made my burger into a salad! So here’s my recipe for the most bestest Black Bean Burger Salad.
Main ingredient, black beans. I seasoned mine with onions, sweet pepper (bell pepper), garlic and lots of thyme, oh and of course salt and pepper too. First, I added my black beans to my food processor and pulsed; I used canned black beans and pulsed just enough to get it to come together but not so much that it was all mush, I like a little texture.
I also added soy sauce to my burger mix, you know for that extra kick! After that, all I had to do was shape my burger “meat” into patties and brown them in a pan with oil. I used olive oil over medium heat and browned them until crispy; the best part is the crispy edged with the soft inside. Soo good! To finish the patty in the pan, I sliced artisan pepper jack cheese and melted it over top.
Then for the salad, it’s fresh lettuce, yogurt sriracha dressing, pickled carrots and beets and a sprinkle of fresh thyme. For the pickles, I love the brainy flavour so I stack it up but go light if it’s not your thing.
I’m telling you guys, it’s the best lunch! and if you’re looking for a light dinner, this hits the spot too, no doubt.
So if you ever happen to have one of these days or you just think this sounds and looks gosh darn good then check out the recipe below so you can make your own!
Black Bean Burger Salad
This one’s great for gluten free or bread-free days or diets and it’s super delish.
1 can Black beans
1/2 Bell peppers
2 cloves garlic
3 sprigs thyme, plus extra
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Pepper jack cheese (or vegan cheese)
Pickled beets, as needed
Pickled carrots, as needed
Yogurt (or sour cream)
- Pulse the beans and the seasonings separately.
- Season with salt, pepper and soy sauce and mix everything together.
- Shape the “meat” into patties and start browning them crispy in a pan with oil over medium heat.
- Once you flip the burger, add a slice of cheese on top and allow it to melt while the bottom browns.
- In the mean time, in a bowl mix some sriracha and yogurt together (to your taste), set aside and on a plate assemble lettuce leaves and lay the burger patty on top.
- Add the pickles on top and add the yogurt scriracha. Sprinkle the thyme on top.
I hope you shine today!